Valve Guitar Amplifier Tube Maintenance and Care is very important if you are to get the best from your valve guitar amplifier. It is very easy to damage the vales (tubes) if the correct precautions are not taken. The first step is to read the owners manual it will give advice on what is required for servicing.
Buying replacement guitar amplifier valves is not a cheap option and they can be easily damaged if used incorrectly. At YUMAGOLD we can supply replacement guitar amplifier valve kits for most models from the 50’s onward. If you require new valves visit out product pages to view the range of replacement valves.
I have listed below some basic advice to care for the tubes in your valve amplifier.
Valve Guitar Amplifier Tube Maintenance and Care – Remember
- Before attempting any guitar amplifier tube maintenance read the owners manual that came with the guitar amplifier. If in any doubt give the guitar amplifier to a trained technician to service and repair.
- Always allow the Tubes to warm up for at least a couple of minutes before using the guitar amplifier. Some amplifiers have a standby mode for this reason.
- Do not move the amplifier until the tubes have cooled down. Moving the amplifier while the tubes are still hot will shorten their life.
- Never handle the tubes with bare hands. This will leave a oil mark on the glass and create a hot spot. The hot spot will shorten the life of the tube and will possible crack the glass. Use gloves or a soft cloth and only do this when they are cold.
- Always replace the power tubes with the exact tubes you have taken out. If you don’t, then flow of electricity inside the amplifier will change. To prevent total damage the circuitry would need to modified by an experienced technician to re-bias the circuit. It can be very expensive to do this. You also most likely need to replace the pre-amp tubes as well.
Are my Guitar Amplifier Tubes Dying?
Amplifier tube maintenance is a key part of owning a high quality guitar amplifier. Cutting corners can be very costly and cause serious damage to the amplifier circuit. There are a few tell-tale signs that a tube is becoming weak, and ready for replacement. This does not always happen, sometimes they can burn out without warning. For ones that are slowly dying here are a few warning signs.
- A high pitched whine usually means that a tube in your pre-amp is dying.
- A low rumbling sound is associated with a bad power output tube.
- Anytime your amp blows a fuse, it can be a warning sign that a tube is failing.
Changing Guitar Amplifier Tubes
- If in doubt use a trained technician to change the tubes.
- Always ensure the amplifier is switched off and cooled down before attempting any amplifier tube maintenance.
- If you need to change a tube, check the owners manual, or the manufacturer’s web-site first as it may give tips on identifying the problem and obtaining the proper replacement.
- You should change an entire set of tubes at the same time. If one pre-amp tube is to be replaced then change all the pre-amp tubes. Failure to do this will only shorten the new tube life span and end up costing more in the long run.
- When taking the tubes out remember they pull out of the socket do not try to unscrew them.
- Always buy quality guitar amplifier valves and if possible by matched sets of guitar amp valves.
- Buy Replacement Amplifier Valves
- Buy Matched Sets of Amplifier Tubes
- Buy Full Guitar Amplifier Re-Valve Sets
Read our Guitar Amplifier Technology Pages
- Guitar Amplifiers Explained – All Types & Makes
- Valve Amplifier Push-Pull Output Stage Operation Explained
- Valve Amplifier Single Ended Output Stage Explained
- Valve Guitar Amplifier – Output Tubes Explained
- Valve Guitar Amplifier – Pre-Amplifier Tube Operation Explained
- Valve Guitar Amplifier – Technology Explained
- Valve Guitar Amplifier – Tube Amp Basics Explained
- Valve Guitar Amplifier – Tube Operation Explained
Also See These Product Listings
- Makes of Guitar Effect Pedals [Boss, EHX etc]
- Types of Guitar Effect Pedals [Fuzz, Delay etc]
- Boutique Guitar Effect Pedals [Custom Made Guitar Effects]
- Makes of Guitar Amp [Vox, Fender etc]
- Types of Guitar Amps [Valve, Bass etc]
- Buy Boutique Guitar Amplifiers [Custom Made Guitar Amps]
- Buy Guitar Amp Speaker Cabinets
- The Current Best Deals on Musical Instrument Gear
The YUMAGOLD web site has been created to allow musicians to review and purchase musical related products at the best prices from suppliers on sites like Amazon and Ebay. These are chosen as they have very strict consumer controls to protect the buyer. This web site is constantly expanding and new products are being added daily.
Join the Mailing List
Join the mailing list using the link below to receive weekly emails showing the latest deals that are available online with high quality musical instrument gear with up to 50% off.
If you would like to advertise your products on our site let us know by using the contact form